Sis. Carrie Eastridge came to Gallup in July of 1947 with her three youngest sons Joel, Paul, and Jerry. She started the Native American work in Indian Village which is now Churchrock. There was much work to be done. The travel was done on dirt roads in the Churchrock and Newcomb area. Sis. Zoe Kennedy and Sis. Ruth Blackstock came out and to help Sis. Carrie. This work was carried on until 1956 then she went to Africa for 8 1/2 years.
In 1965, Sis. Carrie returned to the Navajo people whom she loved very much. She started traveling around the Navajo Nation, preaching and teaching Bible studies and praying for the sick where ever she found them. By 1969, Sis. Carrie and Sis. Pearl Begay acquired a mission site lease with the Navajo Nation. In early 1970, Texico District built a Home Missions church building in Tohatchi, NM. About this time, Sis. Ruth Price came out to help Sis. Carrie and stayed for many years. The church was growing. Bro. Sam and Sis. Ruth Teller, Bro. Wilson and Sis. Margaret Yazzie, Sis. Clara Sherman, Bro. Leonard and Sis. Rebecca Manuelito and their families traveled from Newcomb NM to Tohatchi NM, which equaled to 72 miles round trip. Every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Tuesday night they traveled to be in church, just to hear the word of God being preached. Sis. Carrie would always greet people in Jesus Name.
In August 1970, Bro. Jerry and Sis. Nancy Eastridge and their four sons moved to Tohatchi from Missoula, Montana. Jesus called Bro. Jerry and his family to Tohatchi as home missionaries. In 1971, they started traveling to and from Newcomb for every Wednesday night service. In 1974, they acquired a mission site lease in Newcomb right next to Hwy 666 which is now Hwy 491 and placed a church building on the land. Bro. Jerry and Bro. Paul Yazzie worked on the setting up and pouring the concrete forms under the building. The real laborers were Tony, Martin, Wesley, Neal and Melvin Yazzie. They dug each hole by hand, laid each center block, mixed and poured the concrete in each hole not only at Newcomb but also in Tohatchi when the annex building was placed behind the church.
In 1976, Bro. Jerry and Sis. Nancy started traveling to Paguate, NM, a villiage on the Laguna reservation, a round trip of 270 miles once a week for church. Once or twice a week Bro. Jerry and Sis. Nancy traveled between Tohatchi, Newcomb and Paguate for over 30 years. The Lord has blessed them for the work that they have done in building the churches in Tohatchi along with the two daughter works in Newcomb and Paguate. Many wonderful people have come out to assist in whatever capacity within the last 40 years.
In the mid 1990’s, Bro. Melvin and Sis. Doris Yazzie went to Newcomb and are doing a wonderful work pastoring the church there.
In the late 1990’s, Bro. Bruce and Sis. Joyce Footracer went to Paguate and are doing a wonderful work pastoring the church there.
In November of 2009, Bro. Martin and Sis. Cyndy Eastridge moved back to the Tohatchi Church to work as Associate Pastors.
Bro. Jerry and Sis. Nancy continue to work in the Tohatchi church and Jesus is blessing the Native ministries in New Mexico and Arizona and the surrounding communities mightily.
In August 2012, Bro. Jerry and Sis. Nancy retired as the Pastor of the Church, and passed the Mantle to his son Rev. Martin and Sis. Cyndy Eastridge.
Revival started in November 2012 and is continuing. We have seen MIA’s (Backsliders and new Saints) receive the Holy Ghost, and have been baptized in Jesus Name. As of September 2013, we have had 13 new families start coming to church. Jesus is so awesome!